August is typically known to be a transition or maintenance month where keeping gardens and lawns weed-free and watered thoroughly due to the rising temperatures is essential. As we begin to transition into a new season, here are some end of summer must-do’s ahead of fall:
- Make sure all trees and plants are getting enough water especially the newly installed ones.
- Prune or shear boxwoods, juniper and other ground cover as it will show little growth for the remainder of the year.
- Continue to maintain lawn edges and garden beds.
- Begin planting fall perennials towards the end of the month.
- Continue to deadhead
- Continue to replenish mulch
- Remove dry leaves off of your perennials
- Monitor plants for disease and insect damage.
Join the Peak newsletter
Subscribe to get Peak tips, gardening info, and special promotions!